I eat spicy food every day of my life. When I want a sour, vinegary spiceiness, I go with Tabasco. When I want a sweet n' spiciness, I go with Siriachia. But when I just want a fresh spice straight from the pepper? I go with Sambal Oelek ground fresh chili paste.
Sambal Oelek is a very direct spicy sauce — there's no smokiness, there's no sweetness or vinegar to distract from the good stuff, no garlic. They don't put in any additives that distracts from the chili. It just tastes fresh, bright, and just like chili. It tends to go well with anything that's savory.
Dishes I use with Sambal Oelek:
* Spaghetti noodies (goes well with marinara or any kind of tomato sauce)
* Pizza (cuts against bland cheese)
* Ketchup and fries (I stir some into ketchup for a bit more kick to my fries)
* Spring roll dipping sauce (mix with honey in a 1:1 ratio)
* Mac 'n' cheese (stir in a spoonful)
What kind of dishes do you guys use with Sambal Oelek?
What did you think of this review?