Movies Books Music Food Tv Shows Technology Politics Video Games Parenting Fashion Green Living more >

Lunch » Tags » Travel » Reviews » England


8 Ratings: 4.8
A European country
1 review about England

A Quick Tip by Nectarfizz

  • Dec 10, 2010
  • by
If you are planning on going to England for 6 months to visit someone, there are a few things you will need to have on hand when you reach customs. Without these things you can and will wait to see if they will let you enter the country.

#1 You better have a Bank Statement showing you have at minimum $1000. If you don't they may wonder just how you will be supporting your stay. Print one out as close to the date of your flights as possible and keep it in a manila envelope.

#2 Make sure you have a passport. You may stay in the country for up to 6 months without a Visa...but if you have no Passport you will never even get on the flight.

#3 Itinerary of your return flight. They will definitely want visual proof that you are returning to the place you started from. If you haven't got one it could mean delays getting passed through the checkpoint.

#4 A sponsoring family or friend. If you have a friend or family sponsoring your stay you will need their contact numbers so they can confirm what you have told them. if someone sponsors you they are taking financial responsibility for you during the time you are in the country. They can and will ask questions to determine if the person or persons sponsoring you are working individuals. If they are on public assistance they will not be able to sponsor you.

#5 Make sure to get your paperwork in order...if you have plans to get married in England or settle there, you will need to get entry clearance and other paperwork approved before entering the country. They will ask you lots of questions regarding this so be prepared for a lot of explaining. I had to explain how I was going to continue to work once I returned to the US, what I had in the US to return to, and just what my plans were for visiting for such a long time. (basically sussing out if I was looking to get married)

#6 Prepare information sheets on the addresses and locations of the places you will be staying.
Was this helpful?
Post a Comment
December 11, 2010
Wow....the bank statement threw me for a loop! I never would've guessed that you would need your bank statement but, it kinda makes sense. Also, I didn't know that you could stay up to 6 months without a Visa- is that the same throughout Europe? This is so incredibly helpful- thanks so much for sharing! As a side note- for right now, to reply to a comment, you need to click the blue Reply button on the lower left of the comment to send a notification to the person who left the comment. Otherwise, they'll never know you responded and I don't want you thinking people are ignoring you! We are working on making that process easier though :) If you have any questions or problems, feel free to let me know!
December 11, 2010
I am not sure about other areas. Each country has their own requirements. You can probably check the customs information for other areas. But I believe for most areas other than England in Europe the general maximum without a visa is 3 months. They are currently considering reducing the 6 in England to three also..I am praying this does not change anytime soon, as I visit there 6 months in the year to be with the man I love.
December 11, 2010
Awwww.....I hope not either for both of your sakes! Yeah, I had thought it was three but, I really like that England has six.
December 10, 2010
Thanks for the tips, Bekki!  That's interesting about the bank statement tidbit.  For staying that long, do you need a visa as well?  By the way, you should totally join the Euro Travel Tips community! :)
December 11, 2010
Devora, you only need a visa if you stay longer than the allotted visitor time period which is maximum 6 months. If you plan to stay in England a longer period of time you will need either a working visa, a marriage visa, or a student visa. There are also a few for other things..like charity work, but these are specific to organizations for the most part. The Visa situation is even hairier than the one I described. With a Visa entrance a person is expected to have all kinds of paperwork filed and approved. Entry Clearance, Sponsorship papers, Children and Adult approval for entrance ect. The great thing about getting a work visa is generally the company sponsoring you will give you a pretty good list of things you will need to enter the country. I think having a record of immunizations is important in that event as well.
What's your opinion on England?
8 Ratings: +4.8
You have exceeded the maximum length.
Going to England for 6 months.
Related Topics
Rick Steve's Europe

A travel television show

Kent, England

A county in southeast England.


A town and major ferry port in the home county of Kent, in S

© 2014 Lunch.com, LLC All Rights Reserved
Lunch.com - Relevant reviews by real people.
This is you!
Ranked #
Last login
Member since