The product description of this item's page is incorrect. This is the Keratin Complex Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment, the item picture does show the correct formula but the description is for Keratin Complex COLOR CARE Natural Keratin Smoothing that is specially formulated for blonde and highlighted hair.
If you have frizzy, thick curly hair this is the best treatment you can splurge yourself to. It will eliminate about 95% of the curl and frizz. Keratin restores and restructures hair. By infusing (letting product sit and flat ironing it in) the keratin goes deep onto the damaged cuticle and your hair will come out silky smooth and shiny. It also penetrates the hair follicle with a keratinous bond to promote healing. It can last up to 3 to 5 months depending on how often you wash your hair. I am not a professional hairdresser and did not want to spend $400 to get this done in a salon. Instead I opted on buying the 16oz bottle that will allow up to 4 treatments to be done. It does not come with detailed instructions, just a brief overview printed on the bottle. I was able to find more detailed instructions online.
2. If you are not pre-conditioning your hair prior to treatment, you are to shampoo with a clarifying shampoo two times for chemically treated hair, three times for virgin, coarse, resistant or gray hair.
3. Blow dry until your hair is 100% dry.
4. Shake bottle well. Pour 2-3 oz. of Keratin Complex Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment solution into a bowl. Let the solution sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Using gloves, apply to hair with a brush using 1/2" sections. Keep product away from scalp but try to get it as close as possible. Comb through every section with a fine tooth comb until hair is completely saturated. Do not over saturate the hair, it should not be dripping. If there is any solution collected on the comb, wipe the excess off with a towel. Make sure that the solution is evenly distributed.
6. For chemically treated or damaged hair, allow hair to absorb solution for 20 minutes. For very resistant, coarse hair, allow hair to absorb solution for 30 minutes.
7. After the solution has absorbed for the specific time period, blow dry hair on medium or high heat with a paddle brush/vent brush until it is 100% dry.
8. With a heat resistant comb, divide hair into 4 to 6 sections depending on length and density of hair.
9. Using a 450 degree flat iron, start at the nape of the neck taking 1/8 inch sections. The sections should be small enough that you should be able to see your hand through the hair. Slowly move the iron from root to ends 5-7 times (7-10 times for extremely curly, coarse hair) infusing the keratin into the hair shaft. For chemically treated or damaged hair reduce heat to 420-430 degrees and pay special attention to not over iron the ends.
Your hair will come out frizz free, extremely shiny and healthier. Blow drying time is cut in half and I normally do not even have to use a flat iron for retouch except for my bangs. When I let my hair dry naturally, my hair comes out with a soft wave that has no frizz. When it is necessary to have the treatment done again, it is applied to the entire head just like before. Build-up of keratin will improve you hair shaft giving lifeless dull hair a healthier feel and shine.
Coppola uses Aldehyde which is a derivative of formaldehyde. My eyes did sting a little bit when I applied the product to the front of my head but it did not cause me to be nauseous or light headed. Using a flat iron on high temperatures can cause evaporation of aldehyde or sulfurous fumes when applied to the hair. Use the product in a well ventilated area.
You can color your hair the same day prior to having the Coppola Keratin Smoothing Treatment done. It will actually seal in the color, making it last longer. Otherwise, you will have to wait to color your hair 2 weeks after having the keratin treatment done.
Word of advice - search online for prices because many beauty supply companies offer the Coppola line of products at competitive prices.
What did you think of this review?
Fun to Read
What's your opinion on Keratin Complex Natural Keratin Smoothin...?