a television show
In 1773, Dirck Schoughten of Waterford built a crude log cabin on the bluff overlooking the spring. He fell into disfavor with the Native Americans in the region and left that same summer.
In 1774, John Arnold and his family took over the cabin, improved it and operated an inn for visitors to the spring. Sixteen Native American dwellings were also located near the spring at this time.