Captain Morgan is a brand of rum produced by Diageo. It is named after the 17th-century Caribbean privateer from Wales, Sir Henry Morgan. Captain Morgan's slogan is "Got a little Captain in You?"
edit this info
In 1944, the Seagram Company started producing rum under the name Captain Morgan Rum Company.
Seagram CEO Samuel Bronfman purchased a distillery named Long Pond from the Jamaican government. Among the buyers of raw rum from the Long Pond distillery was a Kingston pharmacy named Levy Brothers. The Levy family had been purchasing raw rum, adding medicinal herbs and spices, aging, and bottling it. Bronfman liked the rum product and bought the rights to it.
In the 1950s the United States federal government & the government of Puerto Rico created a number of economic incentives to create jobs in Puerto Rico. Taxes on rum entering the United States produced in Puerto Rico were less than from other countries outside the United States. At this time both Seagram's and the Bacardi family built large new plants near San Juan. The rum distillery was sold by Seagrams to the Serralles Group a Puerto Rican concern who also produced rum under other labels including Don Q. The rum brand was sold by Seagrams to Diageo. Diageo has made an announcement on June 24 2008 that they intend to construct and operate a new rum distillery on St. Croix, Virgin Islands beginning in 2010 and to source from it beginning at the end of their current supply contract in 2012.
An actor portraying Captain Morgan at the 2007 Scream Awards. The event was sponsored by Diageo.
In 1984, Captain Morgan Original Spiced rum was introduced to the United States.
Captain Morgan is, by volume, the second largest brand of spirits in the United States, and the seventh largest world-wide. In 2007[update], 7.6 million 9-liter cases were sold. Most Captain Morgan rum is sold in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, South Africa, and Global Travel.
Captain Morgan's Rum is distilled from sugar cane. The combination of the type of yeasts employed for fermentation, distillation method, aging conditions, and blending determines the characteristic flavor of rum. Made with molasses, water, mash and yeast, Captain Morgan Original Spiced rum is distilled in a continuous still. Once distilled, the clear spirit is aged in oak barrels for up to a year, adding a golden color and character to the rum before the flavors and spices are added. The brand’s taste is achieved through a proprietary recipe, which is blended into the rum mixture at the final stages of production, making use of spices indigenous to the Caribbean Islands.
* Original Spiced - Mellow aged and enhanced with fruit flavors, spices, and a hint of vanilla. 70 proof
* Parrot Bay - White rum with varieties including coconut, mango, pineapple, passion fruit and key lime. 42 proof (formerly 48)
* Private Stock - Rich, dark and full-bodied, blends hints of island spices with a smooth texture. 80 proof
* Silver Spiced - Aged in oak barrels for over a year, with a smooth taste and a well-rounded, vanilla character. 70 proof
* Tattoo - An extra-dark rum with fruit flavors described as berry or citrus, introduced to compete with Jägermeister for marketshare. 70 proof
* 100 Proof - The most recent addition to the Captain Morgan family boasting the highest alcoholic content of the Captain Morgan line of drinks. To quote the Captain Morgan website "Great with cola or great as a shot. Either way, just plain great". Closest relation is Captain Morgan's Original Spiced Rum, but with an added kick. 100 proof
* Deluxe Dark - More expensive than Black Label. A blend of dark Carribean rums, aged in white oak barrels, only available in Canada. 80 proof