Intervention is a gripping one hour weekly television series on A&E in which people confront their darkest demons and seek a route to redemption. Internvetion shows hon much people's dependence on drugs and alcohol or other compulsive behavior has brought them to a point of personal crisis and estranged them from their friends and loved ones.
It also raises awareness about the alternatives and treatment options available.
Each episode features either one or two subjects who have some sort of behavior that is negatively affecting their lives. Compulsive shopping, compulsive gambling, substance abuse, and eating disorders have all been featured on various episodes.
The show format is as follows:
- A brief introduction to the subject
- The subject's background, including childhood and noteable life events
- Video footage of the subject's daily life including the behavior (drugs, etc.)
- Interviews with friends, family, loved ones
- A pre-intervention session with the participants
- The actual intervention
- If successful, the subject's travel to the treatment center
- A follow-up interview with the subject after a period in treatment
- A follow-up report on the subject's current status
Not all subjects end up going for treatment, and not all who go for treatment are successful in stopping their behavior. At the end of each episode, the subject's progress is revealed. Most of the time, the subject is maintaining sobriety, but sometimes not.
In the case of episodes that are repeats, the final screen is updated with the subject's current status if known.