A few months ago I wrote a review asking for World Cup predictions
, based on a set of criteria that seem to work for this very difficult-to-predict tourney. It was based on five criteria:
1. Repeat champions are extremely rare. Too much pressure, probably.
2. The host nation usually does better than expected.
3. European teams win in Europe. South American teams win on other continents.
4. Qualification results don't matter all that much.
5. It's rare to see a first-time winner. The only winners in World Cup history are Brazil, Argentina, Germany, England, France, Uruguay, and Italy. That's it!
This first list is based on the history in tournaments, their recent results, and their specific players. I'm not going into injuries or the draw. I'll do another rankings right before the tournament with that info.