I don't know about you, but I throw out a substantial amount of spoiled produce. We are very careful about how much we buy and try to have minimal waste, but sometimes it just happens and I forget about that onion or the head of salad. Finally there is something to minimize that waste naturally! I had the opportunity to review BluApple
, which keeps fruits and veggies fresh longer by absorbing the ethylene gas they produce in the zeolite packet within the apple.
I have been testing it out for two weeks in the produce drawers in my fridge and I'm happy to report that it works! To illustrate - we go food shopping every three weeks, on that trip I buy a head of cauliflower. Since it keeps from spoiling for a pretty long time, I usually prepare it during the second week after food shopping. I know that when I keep it till the third week it doesn't look as fresh and appetizing. So I put in the BluApple on the second week - when I normally would prepare it. I waited until the middle of the third week, took it out of the fridge, and it looked exactly as it did when I put the BluApple in! Normally I cannot keep it that long, it starts to rot. Of course it is best to eat things fresh, but we have to stretch out our produce supply for three weeks and this is doing the trick of keeping things fresh.
Some BluApple fast facts:
- Each BluApple lasts three months in the refrigerator
- BluApple is infinitely refillable
- Active ingredient is registered with Organic Materials Review Institute
- BluApple has the highest percentage of available reactant and the longest life per gram of any other ethylene absorption product
- The spent zeolite can be placed in your houseplants or garden and will provide plants with trace minerals
- A full years supply will cost you only $23.90 with shipping and may save about $600 a year in spoiled produce.
"The Bluapple is based on technology that has been used in ships, warehouses and trucks for many years to absorb and neutralize the ethylene gas buildup. The Bluapple does not release any gas or chemical at all, but only acts as an ethylene gas super-flypaper, constantly removing this harmful gas from your produce storage area. The Bluapple is not a "magic" pill, but a scientific, essential part of keeping produce fresh."
Win a BluApple 2 pack at Eco-Babyz! 3 winners, ends 5.20.2011