Love the crunch & taste but I have some issues with it.
Nov 11, 2011
Let's get the unpleasant stuff out of the way first:
1. Calling this product "clusters" falls somewhere between false advertising and a grand exaggeration. Sure, there may be clusters in there (though I had to go spelunking to find them), but by no means are clusters a primary element of this snack. That vast majority of the bag I received was loose bits.
2. I opened the bag on the day I received it from Amazon and the first smell that hit me was rancid grain or oil--you know, when a box of cereal or crackers (or even a jar of peanut butter) go bad, they have that nasty stale smell? Well that is what this smells like (at least the bag I got). The "best by" date on the bag is August 29, 2012, so clearly the product is not outdated. I HATE the rancid smell and will throw away snacks, cereals, crackers, etc., as soon as they start smelling that way, so it was tough to push past it to even try the granola.
Now for the better news:
1. While the product's strong rancid smell is off-putting, the taste is relatively pleasant (as long as I hold my breath or hold the bag away from my face when I'm pouring it out of or grabbing it from the bag to avoid the smell). There is SOME rancid taste, but I've been able to continue eating the granola on yogurt, ice cream or oatmeal--just not by itself.
2. The package makes the following claims about this product: 5g fiber (per 1/3 cup serving), 720 mg Omega-3, gluten free, 100% whole grains, all natural, low glycemic, no refined sugars, NON GMO (whatever that means), no saturated fat or trans fats, cholesterol free and very low in sodium. That's all pretty good news if you're looking for a healthier granola. Total fat is 3.5mg per serving, sodium 20 mg, total carbs 22g, protein 3g and sugars 6g. Also, as noted in the product title, the granola contains flax seeds.
3. The crispy crunch on this stuff is awesome. I'm not sure what causes it, but it has a much lighter crispy type of crunch than most granola I've had (though admittedly I am not a big consumer of granola). I love it sprinkled on my ice cream and yogurt and even started putting it on my oatmeal.
4. At 6g sugar, it is not super sweet, which is great. It has a nice cinnamon taste and enough sweet for me but not too sweet. They use evaporated cane juice and molasses for sweeteners.
Bottom Line: Would I buy it again? *IF* I could be assured that I would never get another bag that smells rancid, yes I would. Otherwise, probably not.
What did you think of this review?
Fun to Read
About the reviewer
I have been a customer reviewer on Amazon.com for well over a decade and an Amazon Vine reviewer since the program began. I enjoy writing product reviews that will help customers make a buying decision. … more
Consider the Source
Use Trust Points to see how much you can rely on this review.