This is a great invention with some major shortcomings and a few disappointments but overall I think the kindle is a great tool and I will use it for many years to come. I have even heard many say that it encourages them to read more, and that may be true simply out of the convenience that this device delivers.
Cons (Minor annoyances)
1. I would like to get all my books in my house converted to digital books.
2. Amazon needs a Netflix subscription model that gives me access to read any book I want. Then if if I want to download and keep the book I should be charged a standard download fee.
3. Limited library, not all books are available in a kindle version (only a matter of time)
4. Requires recharging (but not often, it's no iphone battery)
5. When traveling on an airplane, unlike books that you can read through the entire up and down process. The kindle, because it is electronic, is required to be stowed for takeoff and landing. A minor con to an all around great product.
Pros (What I love about this device)
3. Access to Newspaper subscriptions (no more wasted paper) .
1. Instant access to the Kindle Library
How often have you finished a great book and wanted to start the next immediately? I've done it three times and all I had to do was run a quick search, push a button and within a few seconds I'm back into the story. In a conversations if someone brings up a book, I can pull out the iphone open the kindle app and download the book to my kindle and have it waiting for me when I get home.
2. 7000+ free or really cheap books are available at the kindle store
(just sort by price low to high to find them).
Free, or cheap books, need I say more... Ever want to read some old classic but haven't had time to find them. Browse the store, they might just be there for free.
I'm very happy with this feature. I like diversity in my news, LA Times, NY Times, IHT and the Wall street Journal, etc, imagine having that many paper's delivered to your doorstep every morning, worst yet imagine your recycling bin filling up every day. (I need a ruling here, does this make it a "Green" product?)
4. Size and Reading Comfort
Large novels, paper backs, magazines and newspapers, they all weigh the same and fit easily in your hand for more consistent comfort.
5. No glare reading screen (actually easier to read in sunlight than a book)
6. % complete bar
I like knowing exactly how much I've read and what I have left to read.
7. Travel space
The kindle allows for you to take unlimited newspapers and a full library of books with you to the airport in a space no larger than a single magazine.
Overall this is a great product that I recommend for any reader.